I thought long and hard about this, as usually the idea of a “chain letter” type thing would find me hostile, but instead I have chosen to embrace the intent with which my blogging friend and colleague the Frothing Muppet has given me a nod, and share some of the thoughts this “award” has prompted across the internet.
In truth I have enjoyed reading the responses of other nominees and so in that spirit I write..
- Drax and I went to the same Liberal Arts college, and somehow missed each other. I have a vague memory of someone I think was him..
- I was expelled form my first Secondary school. I am now a teacher. Now me would not have got on with then me.
- I go through phases of productive hobbying and other phases of deep procrastination. Just ask Zzzzzz how long I had his titan before it got painted.
- My first miniature purchase was the citadel Heroic Adventurers Starter Set sculpted by Bryan Ansell. I was nine.
- I don't get to play often. best case 10-12 times a year. worst case 2 or 3. I have to date played about six games of sixth edition 40k.
- One of my biggest hobby regrets is the pre-university “purge” where I sold my entire collection to date, including lots of rogue trader stuff; not that I no longer have the stuff, but that i hit a point in my life where I felt i should step away and “grow up”
- I have long hair, down below my knees. apparently I should mention that is it’s not “normal”
- I constantly plan to enter painting competitions but always seem to wuss out, sabotage myself or get sidetracked into real life(tm) and one day need to man up and actually start getting out there.
- I am one of those few who actually like Marmite.
- I have a childhood friend whose teenage Warhammer collection was almost entirely shoplifted. I do not condone this.
- I still have a pot of citadel “Brown ink” that a guard jealously and only use on special models.
- Eisenhorn or Ravenor? Gregor. The man understands what is required to win the kind of war he is fighting. I fear Ravenor’s hubris will bring him down as he doesn't recognise the truths Gregor does.
- What is your favourite aspect of the miniature hobby? the portions of the community it has brought me into contact with.
- Will dread Cthulhu rise from his sunken city of R’lyeh? Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!! La! La! Cthulhu Fhtagn!!
- What is your favourite takeaway? Chineese.
- If you could change one thing about the wargaming hobby, what would it be? the idea that this hobby should be competitive.
- Have you ever played the cRPG: Planescape: Torment? Yes. and it really is as good as people say, but in an academic way, as a game designer. the visceral experince is better created by a more acessible narrative like fallout or baldurs gate imo.
- Games Workshop’s White Dwarf magazine recently switched formats and is now weekly, thoughts? not read one yet, have read a visions.. very reassuring as the photography is so good and high res you can see all the flaws on the minis, like we can with our blog pics :)
- What miniature are you most proud of having painted? I got a striking scorpion through the regional GD when i was nineteen. he was awesome (and yeah that’s how they used to do it)
- How do you deal with burnout? I play more computer games until i feel i want to model again, and i try not to beat myself up about not making progress (though i sometimes fail at that part.)
- Why is a raven like a writing desk?
- Who is your favourite sculptor? Mark Bedford
Eleven Blogs (in no particular order):
- Sprockets small world
- Mordian 7th
- Volomir’s Blog
- Admiral Drax
- Recalcitrant Daze
- Massive Voodoo
- Eternal Hunt
- Devos 4
- Palladian Guard
- Miniature Tim
I don't want to be responsible for anyone feeling like they need to respond to this with a post of their own, but if the idea appeals, and you've been enjoying reading them then please feel free.