While I’m happy with the colour combinations on the original guy, I am a little dissatisfied with the overall “pop” of the guy, So for this second one I decided on a few changes to the “recipe”.
I lifted the whole tone of the model to have a much brighter endpoint, I’ve pushed for more contrast overall, and after seeing the brush brothers WGT step-by step I decided to use their weathering technique rather than the one previously shown.
It’s a technique I;ve used often before, but never for a single mini, always on vehicles.
Here he is with the flat paintjob, (really must be less lazy and get tripod out more often, damn shaky hands)
and here after the masking fluid is removed to reveal the rust effect beneath
finally, with the chips highlighted.
I think some of the blobs are a bit big, – a hangover from my usual use of this technique on vehicles, and something I’ll fix for next time, and obviously nothing else is painted yet, but I think already he has more pop than his predecessor.
Once both are painted, I’ll pop “finished” posts up, and maybe a side-by side too.
Thanks for reading!